Saturday, June 4, 2011

I read a news article on ninemsn page tonight. It brought tears to my eyes.

The link is here. http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8257362/nsw-mine-closed-after-worker-dies.

I apologise for bringing it to the attention of those of you who have family who work in the mines, although I'm sure you are already aware of it.

He shouldn't have lost his life at work.

The whole world is aware of the dangers of underground mining, following so many collapses and accidents in recent years. And some miraculous rescues.

There was the policeman whose family had to switch off his life support this week after he was shot whilst at work.

He shouldn't have lost his life at work.

I've lost count of how many policemen have lost their lives due to their choice of career.

And we are continually hearing about our soldiers, who are being killed in Afghanistan. From memory, 3 Australian families were torn apart this week.

They shouldn't have lost their lives at work.

We've all lost count of how many soldiers have been killed in this war that is not even ours.

I'm not saying any of them should have chosen a different career. I am very proud of them for putting themselves out there to better the lives of the rest of us. They went to work to earn a living & live a good life. That life was cut short.

I'm simply saying that NOBODY should lose their life at work.

My stepfather is a retired underground coalminer. I worried about him whilst I was growing up.

I have relatives and friends who are in the Police Force. I worry about them now.

Our son is an army cadet and wants to go into the Australian Army when he finishes school. I worry what will happen in his future.

I love the discipline, routine, challenge and opportunities offered in military life. Am I giving our son a death sentence by encouraging his interest in a military life?

Anybody who has ever lost their life at work has been somebody's mother, father, wife, husband, daughter, son, sister, brother, aunty, uncle, grandmother, grandfather or friend.

It's not fair that the loved one doesn't get to come home. Somebody MAKE IT STOP.

image from http://weheartit.com/tag/love%20hearts?page=4


What's your thoughts?

Karen.

2 comments:

Erin said...

It is very sad and you know im one of those wives that has to worry about if her husband is coming home or not ,but i dont think it will ever stop we all need to remember to live for today and not for tomorrow and hold our loved ones close because you never now how long you have xx

rambling mum said...

Erin, you are who I was thinking of when I was reading the news item about the coalminer. A wife's nightmare. I like your live for today & hold your loved ones close attitude, because we never do know what's around the corner in our lives. Hopefully a lot more time & happy time at that! xx